Ninnaji Shingon Buddhist Temple

Construction of Ninnaji was begun by Emperor koko in 886, and completed in 888 by the Emperor Uda, who became a Buddhist priest and took up residence after his abdication in 897. From then until the Meiji restoration, temple’s head priest was always of Imperial lineage. The temple was destroyed during the Onin War in 1467, and the present buildings date from its reconstruction in 1641-4. The Kondo (known as the “Golden Hall”) was moved here from the Imperial Palace and is a National Treasure.


La construction du temple de Ninna-ji a été commencé par l’empereur Kōkō en 886, mais terminée par l’empereur Uda en 888. Ce dernier est devenu un prêtre Bouddhiste et y est habité depuis son abdication en 897. Depuis ce temps-là, le prêtre en chef du temple a toujours été de lineage impériale.

Le temple, détruit en 1467 par la guerre d’Ōnin, a été reconstruit dans les années 1640. Son “Hall Dorée”, un trésor national, y a été placé à partir du Palace Imperial.


Official Website