Kyoto Toji Buddhist Tower Temple

A Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect, it once had a partner, Sai-ji (West Temple) and, together, they stood alongside the Rashomon, gate to the Heian capital. It was formally known as Kyō-ō-gokoku-ji (The Temple for the Defense of the Nation by Means of the King of Doctrines), which indicates that it previously functioned as a temple providing protection for the nation. The temple dates from 796, two years after the capital moved to Heian-kyō. Together with its partner Sai-ji, and the temple Shingon-in (located in the Heian Palace), it was one of only three Buddhist temples allowed in the capital at the time, and is the only of the three to survive to the present.


Le temple pagode Tō-ji, qui veut dire “Temple de l’Est”, est l’un des premiers temples de Kyôto. Il a été construit avec un jumeau a l’ouest comme moyen de défense du Palais Impériale il y a plus de 1000 ans lorsque la capitale du Japon a été transféré à Kyôto. De nos jours, même s’il a dû subir plusieurs feux et tremblements de terre, il a toujours été reconstruit de façon à faire justice à son architecture et placement original. Il est le seul des 2 temples à être encore présent.


Official Website